Wednesday, March 30, 2005

 

Spring mix

Since I skipped last Friday's shuffle, I thought I would join Scrivener and Geeky Mom by offering this Spring Mix, in honor of the first morning that I was able to work with my windows open.

1. "Joy Spring," by Clifford Brown, from Clifford Brown and Max Roach
2. "Will O' The Wisp," by Miles Davis, from Sketches of Spain
3. "It Might as Well Be Spring," by Sarah Vaughan, from Sarah Vaughan
4. "Serenade to a Cuckoo," by Roland Kirk, from I Talk to The Spirits
5. "Sweet Honey Bee," by Duke Pearson, from Sweet Honey Bee
6. "Wild Flower," by Wayne Shorter, from Speak No Evil
7. "I'll Remember April," by Clifford Brown, from At Basin Street
8. "Fleurette Africaine," by Duke Ellington, from Money Jungle
9. "Mating Call," by Tadd Dameron, from Tadd Dameron with John Coltrane
10. "Pennies from Heaven," by J. J. Johnson, from The Eminent J. J., Vol. 2
11. "Some Other Spring," by Roy Haynes, from Out of the Afternoon

It was exceptionally easy to put together a spring list from my jazz collection; this mix was shuffled from a playlist of about two dozen songs. Autumn would also be a cinch ("Autumn Leaves," "Autumn in New York," "September Song," etc.), but winter would be tougher. Ironically, summertime might be hardest of all, aside from endless renditions of the obvious tune. I guess jazz musicians aren't big on summer: even "Summertime" praises the season ironically. Don't believe it when it says that the "living is easy." I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that most city jazz clubs in the golden age of jazz had to close for parts of the summer for lack of ventilation and air conditioning. On second thought, nah: I'm not a structuralist when it comes to musicology. (Yes, I've managed to ramble for a paragraph about seasons, but Michael Kammen has written a whole book about them. So there.)

Tags: , random10. (These tags provided for the gratification of someone who shall remain unnamed, but whose intials are JM.)


Collective Improvisation:

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter