Thursday, March 17, 2005

 

Article

My first article, "The Fourth and the First: Abolitionist Holidays, Respectability and Race," appears in this month's issue of American Quarterly, the journal of the American Studies Association. If your library has a subscription to Project Muse, you can read the article in HTML or in PDF.

I think the longest I've spent on a blog post is about two or three hours. By contrast, this article has been in the works for about four years now, including press time. Extra time certainly does not entail perfection. (Would that it were so!) But hopefully there is some appreciable difference between the two genres!

In a generic sense, journals are still not as interactive and dialogical as blogs. I think there may be good reasons for that. But this post provides the article with a response thread, and I'd be delighted to hear of comments or criticisms. As I've argued before, I'm aware that scholarship does not end when publication begins. Scholarship is drafts all the way down. (I'll leave you to judge whether that means "drafts" in the sense of corrigible manuscripts, or "drafts" in the sense of sudden feelings that wind has broken loose.)

While you are at American Quarterly, it looks like the issue also contains some great articles on Christian heavy metal, polygamy debates, and transnationalism in American Studies.


Collective Improvisation:
Congrats! I'll read it tonight, can't promise any incisive comments, however; everything I know about abolitionists lasts about 5 years in the C19th! 

Posted by rob

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/17/2005 05:29:00 PM : Permalink  

Congratulations! A real milestone and a great addition to the CV!

Also, when you wrote "Scholarship is drafts all the way down" I thought you were referring to the inevitable bouts of drinking (draughts) and desperation that accompany the dissertation stage. But maybe that's just me! 

Posted by Jason

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/17/2005 08:38:00 PM : Permalink  

Hooray! I will read it in two weeks, when I have finished my work and can give it the attention I'm sure it deserves. 

Posted by JM

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/17/2005 09:09:00 PM : Permalink  

Hey, Congratulations! What a fantastic venue for a first article! Ok, I honestly managed a full two minutes of nothing but excitement for your accomplishment before I turned inward and started knocking myself for not having any publications yet and then feeling jealous of your success. Sorry about that, but hey two minutes, that's pretty good, right. ;)

Seriously, congratulations. You should be very proud. 

Posted by Scrivener

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/18/2005 07:32:00 PM : Permalink  

Thanks, everyone, for the congrats. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/18/2005 11:03:00 PM : Permalink  

Congratulations! Nice feeling, isn't it? 

Posted by bitchphd

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/20/2005 05:29:00 AM : Permalink  

Thanks for the congrats, Professor B. It is nice to see something that's been in the works for a while come to completion. Kind of surreal, though, that it's done! 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/20/2005 09:03:00 PM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter