Saturday, April 16, 2005

 

Belated Friday shuffle

1. "The Unforgettable Fire," by U2, from The Best of 1980-1990
2. "Kite Song," by Patty Griffin, from Impossible Dream
3. "I Miss Being Mrs.," by Loretta Lynn, from Van Lear Rose
4. "In My Place," by Coldplay, from A Rush of Blood to the Head
5. "Take Me for Longing," by Alison Krauss & Union Station, from New Favorite
6. "Each Coming Night," by Iron & Wine, from Our Endless Numbered Days
7. "Blame It On Me," by Alana Davis, from Blame It On Me
8. "What Is It," by Cassandra Wilson, from a Paste Magazine sampler
9. "Lucky," by Radiohead, from OK Computer
10. "As You Do," by Castanets, from a Paste Magazine sampler

Bonus: I've also been listening to the three new CDs I bought last night (my music buying habits are cyclical: long droughts followed by torrential purchases): the new albums from Beck, The Arcade Fire (not really new, I guess, but new to me), and The Doves.

By the way, for interested fans of Iron & Wine, Scrivener (he of the green coiffure) has a review of a recent concert by Sam Beam in Atlanta.

Tags: , random10


Collective Improvisation:
I bought the new Arcade Fire just the other day too. So far, I think it's pretty cool. I also got Andrew Bird based on your recommendation--listened to it twice and a little bit and I like it. Especially like the "Fake Palindrome" song, so far.

Let us know about the Beck when you get a chance, ok? I'm tempted to get it, too, but it's not at the top of my list at the moment. 

Posted by Scrivener

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4/16/2005 11:27:00 PM : Permalink  

Glad you checked out Andrew Bird! It's turning out to be a great windows-open Spring album for me. I like "Fake Palindrome" as well, but also the more mellow "Sovay" and the tango-y "Skin Is, My." The new Beck album is definitely an "old Beck" album. I really got into Sea Change  last year, but Guero is more a return to Odelay form. Which is good in its own way -- just be aware that it's a "beats" album. (Almost all the credits for the songs say: "Beats by the Dust Brothers.") 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4/18/2005 08:34:00 AM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter