Tuesday, August 30, 2005

 

California warning

Yesterday the new mouse I ordered for the Powerbook, with nifty-keeno retractable USB cord, arrived in the mail. Happy with it so far, although when I opened the little manual to the last page, I saw this warning sticker, evidently added after the manuals had been printed:
The cord on this product contains lead, a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. Wash hands after handling.
I'll leave it to the epistemologists to decide whether a State can know things. What I'm wondering is whether California knows something I don't. Most of what I can track down on the web suggests that the main hazard--such as there is--from leaded electronic cords is from ingestion. In other words, I shouldn't eat the mouse cord, and I should wash my hands before eating other things. Still ...


Collective Improvisation:
Ah, ye olde proposition 65 . It was passed back in the mid 80s, but nothing really came of it until a class-action lawsuit a few years ago. Now those little warnings are starting to crop up all over the place.

I saw that one just the other day when I was making a beer run. Apparently some of the specialty beer glasses had a wee bit of lead in them.  

Posted by zalm

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8/30/2005 09:26:00 PM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter