Tuesday, March 22, 2005

 

My first Moleskine

Recently, Tony and Lorianne have both done homage to their Moleskine notebooks, and I've been meaning to join in the adulation.

Although I've always carried small notebooks for jotting, I'm a recent convert to Moleskine. In fact, I just finished my first one a few weeks ago. My first Moleskine dates back to a research trip in Boston last March, and below I've scanned some of the pages from it. Since starting this small Moleskine, I've also started a larger Moleskine journal which functions like a private blog. And in addition to these two Moleskines, I keep another notebook exclusively as a commonplace book for quotations that I like.

Some of the notes on these pages will hopefully end up on this blog in a more developed form. There are notes on Jeffrey Stout's Democracy and Tradition, which I've been wanting to post about for some time -- at least since I took these notes last summer. There are also some notes on David Miller's On Nationality. There are some thoughts on how we think -- or don't think -- about the future since September 11, inspired by my reading of Wendell Berry's essay, "The Loss of the Future." And there are random dissertation notes, book titles, money notes, etc. Welcome to my disjointed world.












Collective Improvisation:
I went in search of one of these babies today. I knew they sold them at Border's, but couldn't find them at Target (unless you count the "Hello, Kitty" plastic-bound notebooks). The website you link to has a catalog, but I couldn't find where I could purchase them. Have a fav place to get them?

I think I'd like to use them to sketch out blog ideas before I sit down and write them.
 

Posted by Dave

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/22/2005 10:05:00 PM : Permalink  

I've bought them at Borders and at Barnes and Noble, and I've also seen them at specialty stationery shops. Not sure where you might get them online. Tony's post has a link to a London shop, but that might not work. You could also try moleskinerie , a blog about, er, Moleskines. If there's not a link there, who knows where one would be!

I've found having a Moleskine helps my blogging and vice versa. Before I blogged, I never could sustain a journal for more than a few months; I just kept notebooks with notes like the ones above. Now that I know that some of the ideas I write down in my "private blog" might eventually make it to the public blog, I have more of an incentive to keep a journal up. Conversely, I had not been blogging for long before I realized that a "private blog" would be useful as a gatekeeper for the public blog. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/22/2005 10:23:00 PM : Permalink  

I had an antipathy to Moleskins for a long time, but I finally bought a Moleskin weekly planner (only because I have to have a weekly planner and none of the stationery shops or bookstores here in Salzburg sold any other kind). I love  it beyond all reason and am planning to get notebooks very soon. 

Posted by Rhonda

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/23/2005 05:32:00 AM : Permalink  

Thanks for showing us yours... I buy mine online from http://www.mojolondon.co.uk/
- much cheaper than any store I've ever found them in. 

Posted by tony

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/24/2005 04:25:00 PM : Permalink  

Another Moleskine junkie! I got sucked into the cult last year, via 43folders.com.

"I've also started a larger Moleskine journal which functions like a private blog."

A "private blog", kept with paper and pen in a bound journal. What a weird and novel concept! I wonder if they'll catch on... :) 

Posted by Rob MacDougall

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 3/25/2005 10:41:00 AM : Permalink  

We can easyly establish a Moleskine fun club on the blog world:-)
and ı like your notes,especially its meaning about democracy

Posted by Blogger Unknown on 6/16/2006 09:40:00 AM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter