Friday, April 08, 2005

 

Friday shuffle

1. "What Would You Say," by Dave Matthews Band, from Under the Table and Dreaming
2. "Receiver," by Hem, from Eveningland
3. "Evil Man," by Shelby Lynne, from Identity Crisis
4. "Crazy," by Alana Davis, from Blame It On Me
5. "Freedom Hangs Like Heaven," by Iron and Wine, from Woman King
6. "Further," by The Moon Seven Times, from Sunburnt
7. "Transmission C," by The Incredible Moses Leroy, from a Paste Magazine sampler
8. "Every Part of Me," by Sam Roberts, from a Paste Magazine sampler
9. "Special," by Wilshire, from a Paste Magazine sampler
10. "All They Ever Do Is Talk," by Earlimart, from Treble & Tremble

Tags: ,


Collective Improvisation:
How is Identity Crisis ? I've got a couple of here earlier albums, but Love, Shelby (is that the right title? smthg like that) didn't seem all that good and I haven't followed her since. I do like I, Shelby quite a lot, especially "Where I Come From." Is this one worth getting? 

Posted by Scrivener

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4/11/2005 06:30:00 PM : Permalink  

I haven't heard her other albums, so I have nothing to compare Identity Crisis  with, but I heard her interviewed on the World Cafe (a public radio show that features indie labels and such), and the impression I got was that this album was a bit of a departure for her. (Hence the album's title.)

I like the album, although it's better for shuffling than listening straight through. There are a couple of really fun and hook-filled songs, but there are uneven spots too. (On a couple of songs she uses some backup gospel singers, which I'm a sucker for.) All in all, worth getting.

But before you buy that, make sure you go out and buy Andrew Bird and the Mysterious Production of Eggs. I got it over the weekend and it's one of the best albums I've heard in a while. It's impossible to describe (cross between Beck, neo-swing, and Belle & Sebastian?) but I think you won't be disappointed.

Great lyrics, too. Like "Tables and Chairs": "I know we're gonna meet someday in the crumbled financial institutions of this land / there will be tables and chairs / pony rides and dancing bears / there'll even be a band / 'cause listen after the fall there'll be no more countries / no currencies at all / we're gonna live on our wits / throw away survival kits / trade butterfly knives for adderal / and that's not all / woah! / there will be snacks, there will / there will be snacks!!"

Just reading those doesn't do the song justice: trust me. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4/11/2005 09:40:00 PM : Permalink  

The album I like by her is I Am Shelby Lynne . Don't know where that other title came from. Thanks for hte suggestion on Andrew Bird. I'll add it to my wish list. 

Posted by Scrivener

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 4/12/2005 11:50:00 AM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter