Thursday, June 09, 2005

 

We interrupt this absence ...

... to bring you this important message.

GO SPURS GO!!!!!

We now return you to your regularly scheduled non-blogging.


Collective Improvisation:
I thought you meant *Spurs *!! 

Posted by Tony

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/09/2005 11:29:00 AM : Permalink  

I've noticed that Google  News sometimes confuses Tottenham with San Antonio too. I haven't been to Tottenham, but I imagine that the two places are quite different!

Should I root for the Hotspurs as well? I'm woefully ignorant about European football. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/09/2005 11:36:00 AM : Permalink  

Indeed. The wife and I watched the game last night--yes, I'm married to an NBA fan. I was weary of hearing on sports radio and other places that this series was going to be boring. Last night's game should disabuse anyone of that notion. 

Posted by greg

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/10/2005 04:26:00 PM : Permalink  

Yeah, the talking heads are annoying me too. The latest bone-headed comment I've seen about the Spurs comes from SI.com writer Chris Mannix :

"Now I have my suspicions that when the Olympic gold-medal winner [Manu Ginobili] goes to the rim he doesn't have any intention of scoring, but rather is out merely to create the necessary contact to get to the free throw line. No matter, the man gets the job done."

Did you catch that? Ginobili doesn't have any intention of scoring . Riiiiiiight. Just like the Pistons frontcourt doesn't have any intention of defending Ginobili, they're just trying to keep him off the free throw line. Now that's brilliant analysis. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/10/2005 05:05:00 PM : Permalink  

I know it sounds crazy, but Barkley predicted this matchup about week 12. The more I listen to him versus the other commentators in the game, the more I've learned to respect what he has to say. Stephen A, Greg Anthony, Bill Walton...I don't know what the hell they're thinking.

And yes, that's brilliant analysis. On the line of, when Steve Nash makes one of his brilliant passes, he's not attempting to connect with a teammate; rather, he's just trying to work on his flexibility--or some such nonsense. It would be more credible if the guy didn't score most of the times he goes to the hoop, or couldn't finish with either hand.

Incidentally, and not to toot my own horn, but I told the wife that having two guards who could finish left or right-handed would create a mess for the Detroit defense. It's a lost fundamental that the game desperately needs to recover. 

Posted by greg

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/11/2005 01:59:00 PM : Permalink  

The answer about Bill Walton, at least, isn't that he doesn't appear to be thinking at all. Thursday night had some of his usual gems like "Tayshaun Prince is as unique as any player in this league." Uh, yeah, every player is as unique as every other player.

His in-game commentary was as bad as I've ever seen from him. "The Pistons have got to get control of this game and stop Tim Duncan." As the cartoon Guinness guys say, "Brilliant."

I agree about Sir Charles. He knows what he's talking about. I also like Marc Stein at ESPN.com. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/11/2005 02:30:00 PM : Permalink  

Oops! Look who's not thinking now! That first line obviously should have said "is" instead of "isn't." As it is, it isn't clear whether Bill Walton is or isn't thinking. Hopefully I made clear that my position is he isn't. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/11/2005 02:32:00 PM : Permalink  

I often wonder why they keep Walton around. He's not even fun to hate because he's not smart enough.  

Posted by greg

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 6/11/2005 05:10:00 PM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter