Saturday, August 13, 2005

 

Friday (Central Time) Shuffle

Here's a shuffle that is belated because we just got back from seeing The March of the Penguins. Amazing film.

1. "Floating" by Sun Kil Moon, from Ghosts of the Great Highway
2. "Painter Song" by Norah Jones, from Come Away With Me
3. "Wires in the Sky" by Dawn Kinnard, from a Paste sampler
4. "Don't Let Me Down," by The Beatles
5. "Skin Is, My," by Andrew Bird, from The Mysterious Production of Eggs
6. "P. S. (New Version)" by Toad the Wet Sprocket, from P. S.
7. "Stay," by Alison Krauss, from Forget About It
8. "The Naming of Things," by Andrew Bird, from The Mysterious Production of Eggs
9. "Cold Ground," by Rusty Truck, from a Paste sampler
10. "With or Without You," by U2, from Joshua Tree


Collective Improvisation:
That there is a mighty fine list. I just got the new Paste  today, but I haven't had time to listen to it yet. And I've been going absolutely nutso lately over that Andrew Bird album. It's almost the best thing I've heard this year.

I didn't do a Random 10 yet today. May as well play along here, since it's still Friday in these parts....

1. "A Case of You" by Joni Mitchell, from Blue
2. "Damage" by Yo La Tengo, from I Can Hear the Heart Beating As One
3. "There Will Always Be" by Adem, from Homesongs
4. "No Moon" by Iron & Wine, from iTunes Exclusive EP
5. "Natural Disaster" by Headphones, from Headphones
6. "Mx Missiles" by Andrew Bird, from The Mysterious Production of Eggs
7. "They Are Night Zombies!! They Are Neighbors!! They Have Come Back From the Dead!! Ahhhhh!" by Sufjan Stevens, from Illinois
8. "Hush Now (Stella's Tarantella)" by Over the Rhine, from Drunkard's Prayer
9. "That's How You Sing Amazing Grace" by Low, from Trust
10. "All This Useless Beauty" by Elvis Costello, from Extreme Honey - The Very Best of the Warner Bros. Years 

Posted by zalm

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8/13/2005 01:51:00 AM : Permalink  

Thanks, Zalm. I like that list too! I also went bananas  about Andrew Bird when I first discovered him. How is that Over the Rhine album? I like one of the singles I've heard. I think it's called "Born," and I think I learned about it from Paste . I'm also interested in learning more about Low. I wasn't crazy about their most recent album when I listened to it in the store, but the things I read implied that it was quite a departure from their earlier, quieter work anyway. 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8/13/2005 12:32:00 PM : Permalink  

For what it's worth, my take on the Andrew Bird album is here .

Drunkard's Prayer  is the only Over the Rhine album I have, so I can't compare it to their previous stuff. But it is absolutely lovely. Karen and Linford are married, and when touring and other things were taking a toll on their marriage, they took time off to see if they could grow back together again. This album came out of that time. They recorded it in their house, and it doesn't just sound intimate, it's intimacy itself. It's simple, but very rich.

I've listened to the latest Low album as well, and I just can't get into it yet. It's definitely a change of pace, although you can sense them moving in that direction on Trust. For my money, Trust is their best album. But Things We Lost in the Fire and I Could Live in Hope aren't too far behind. The latter has a dirgelike version of "You Are My Sunshine" that is bizarrely wonderful. Trust has a little more variety in pacing and arrangement than the other two. But it's definitely very slow music. It's all beautiful in its own way, but you have to be in the mood for it.

Oh, and the penguins were indeed amazing. Apparently the original french version had a cartoonish soundtrack and really anthropomorphic narration. As in, the penguins talked to each other. Yikes! 

Posted by zalm

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8/13/2005 08:08:00 PM : Permalink  

Wow. I'm glad the penguins didn't talk to each other in this version. Yikes indeed! Thanks for the recommendations on Over the Rhine and Low! 

Posted by Caleb

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8/14/2005 04:36:00 PM : Permalink  

Oooh your playlist sounds good! I haven't heard of all those artists - you and the others speak so well of Andrew Bird, I think I'll have to look for that one! I'm always excited to find new music (sometimes I get in a rut.) We also want to go see the penguins movie. I think it might have finally made it here to C.S.

Also, happy belated birthday! Mine's today - I knew yours was somewhere near it, but couldn't remember until I saw it a few posts down. :-) 

Posted by Natalie

Posted by Anonymous Anonymous on 8/14/2005 10:22:00 PM : Permalink  

Post a Comment

Back to Main Page

Site Meter